Thursday, May 3, 2012

Recent Cooking Adventures

Things I have made lately:

Primal Krabby-patties (crab cakes)
This recipe is how I have been doing most of my recipes lately - search and find recipes, take what is consistent/looks best about each and combine Cooks Illustrated style.Used pastured crab from sprouts and home made mayo and "breadcrumbs"

These came out pretty dense and filling and were tasty, though I should have whipped up some kind of dipping sauce. They were not so amazing as to make up for the cost of the crab, and even so it was still just claw meat, and I wonder if better more tender crab meat would have made for a tastier outcome.

Paleo Mayo
Just egg, pecan oil (avocado or macadamia nut oil is suggested, but I had pecan), dry mustard and salt and pepper and lemon juice. Came out a little liquid-y, but did the job just fine. Going to use it to coat chicken tenders before breading them in paleo breadcrumbs :)

Paleo Breadcrumbs
Golden flax seed meal, coconut flour, almond flour, and salt and pepper- came out great. This will be my alternative to crushed plantain chips for breading of meat and seafood.

Breakfast sausages using TJ's 21 seasoning salute instead of other seasonings- came out meh. Totally ok, but just not as good as my original cluck-moo recipe.

Breakfast muffins with kale instead of spinach and no meat- came out tasty, but I miss the meat in them. In fact, since the sausages aren't amazing alone, I simply take a bite of each when I have breakfast :P

Baked spaghetti squash with my Italian sausage meatballs - turned out fabulous! no sauce, just butter and garlic :)

Three Cheese Eggplant melt
This was my first time cooking with eggplant- weird stuff. Dipped slices in an egg wash and seasoned coconut/almond flour and Parmesan cheese, then baked until cheese browned a bit. Then I layered in a pan with ricotta, mozzarella and more Parmesan and some marinara sauce. Tasted a lot like vegetarian lasagna.

To use the leftover ricotta cheese from above, I tried coconut flour blueberry ricotta cheese pancakes. Normally the go-to pancake for paleo is mashed banana and almond butter, but I know you can do it with almond flour or coconut flour. Mine came out pretty eggy, but the blueberry and cheese flavors complimented it nicely.

Made some beef ribs in the crock pot, so now I have baked them and braised them, but still doesn't compare at all to smoking them :)

Next up are my orange power balls- sweet potato almond flour protein powder covered in shredded coconut balls, chicken tenders, crushed plantain chip covered fish sticks, green casserole with kale, and "split pea" soup (uses green beans and cauliflower instead of peas) with lots of ham. Also going to try dehydrating some beets and some salt and vinegar chips. :)

Eating is good, life is good. Ups and downs and bumps and bruises, but learning and growing. Still LOVING tea (adiago teas black dragon pearls are my favorite currently) and working on my lindt 90% dark chocolate with almond butter snacking addiction- trying different less-scrumptious almond butter. Not necessarily working :P

Love and happiness and meat and veggies and no grains to all my readers :P

No comments:

Post a Comment