Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dessert makes my tummy hurt

So I continue to crave dessert- especially after a day or two with ample splurges (we went on a quick road trip which led to dried fruit (always very sugary) and some pie at a restaurant, etc), thus when I got back I had sugar cravings- when I gave in, within 10 minutes my tummy was upset :( I need to learn to listen to my body saying, no, that's ok, I am quite satisfied. And if I just absolutely must have my sweet taste buds tickled, some tea with warm spices does the trick. This is something I continue to work on.

I know if there is one thing we eat too much of it is nuts. And one we do not eat enough of is fish. Nuts are always the quickest and easiest food we have. I make energy bars with nuts, grain free power balls with nuts, have nuts on my yogurt and berries, and keep nuts in my purse as a snack on the go. And I even sometimes have home made trail mix in the pantry which is inevitably sweet and delicious (making great for quick nibbles as I pass the pantry). We are not really supposed to have more than 1 or 2 servings of nuts a day, even though I love my almond-flour based treats.

Fish is one of the best sources of good Omegas, but we still don't eat it often enough. There is so much argument over what fish is good and what is not- the thing I know is that wild salmon is good.

We got some deer meat (backstraps) from my Grandpa that my uncle hunted, and had one as a pan fried steak and put the other in a tasty vegetable stew (haven't tried it yet!). I made an excellent meat order from my farm that I will be going to pick up this weekend- my first try at home made beef ribs! (may need to splurge and get a bottle of Lucielle's bbq sauce) along with some T-bone steaks, stew meat, and ground beef for chile.

I am eager to get a food processor so we can stop buying frozen diced onions and to make many other cooking tasks easier (currently I do mini batches in the magic bullet blender).

Food is great. We have been getting spinach from the farmer's market- and I like it a lot more, though it does take a while to wash and trim. I have fresh asparagus to roast, and broccoli for broccoli soup to make tonight! I am also going to make some butternut squash fries!

All in all, things continue to go well! I am behind a session of strength training, but we did help a friend move and that involved lots of heavy lifting! Tonight is the first class in my next yoga session, which I always whine and moan and groan about going until I get there, then I love it and leave refreshed and feeling great! :D

For a no 'poo update- my hair is doing great- soft and volumous. I think it is still adjusting, but not so many fluctuations. It does fine with or without the baking soda/apple cider vinegar, though I use the ACV almost every time to help with tangles. My hair is long and thick. I do shed less, and my boar's hair brush breaks my hair 90% less than my regular brush. The ACV smell lingers until my hair is completely dry, which is not my favorite. I know I can look into some oils or other hippie/medieval (seriously, could that word be spelled any weirder!?)  ways to give a little scent to my hair.

So now I have a box of Dove pomegranate deodorants, a costco bottle of conditioner and 2 shampoos I have no intention of using that I will need to pawn off on someone :)

Just wanted to check in!

No comments:

Post a Comment